Carl Jung was a profound psychologist and a deep philosophical thinker who explored all aspects of the self.
As you will see in the quotes below, Jung clearly believed that we are spiritual beings and that the complete spiritual relationship with ourselves contributes to a deeper understanding of who we are.
For some, this view translates into a religion – the search for relief in the existence of something superior to us, but, this is not the only form of spirituality, nor does it really help to reach the core of who we are (or, alternatively, who we are not).
Carl Jung was one of the most important creators of modern psychology, of depth, which attempts to facilitate a discussion with the unconscious powers within us. He contributed many ideas, which continue to prevail in contemporary theory: archetype, dream interpretation, persona, anima and animus and many more concepts.
He deeply appreciated creativity and believed that spirituality is a central part of the human journey.
25 profound Carl Jung quotes that will help you understand yourself on a deeper level
1. “Don’t hold on to someone who’s leaving, otherwise you won’t meet the one who’s coming.”
2. “The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”
3. “Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”
4. “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
5. “We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.”
6. “Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.”
7. “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.”
8. “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light but by making the darkness conscious.”
9. “Be grateful for your difficulties and challenges, for they hold blessings. In fact… Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health, personal growth, individuation and self-actualisation.”
10. “People will do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own souls.”
11. “A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them.”
12. “There is no coming to consciousness without pain.”
13. “What you resist, persists.”
14. “Loneliness does not come from having no people around, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.”
15. “Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens.”
16. “We may think that we fully control ourselves. However, a friend can easily reveal something about us that we have absolutely no idea about.”
17. “Depression is like a woman in black. If she turns up, don’t shoo her away. Invite her in, offer her a seat, treat her like a guest and listen to what she wants to say.”
18. “When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate.”
19. “In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.”
20. “A dream is a small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul, which opens up to that primeval cosmic night that was the soul, long before there was the conscious ego.”
21. “Man’s task is to become conscious of the contents that press upward from the unconscious.”
22. “It all depends on how we look at things, and not how they are in themselves.”
23. “If you are a gifted person, it doesn’t mean that you gained something. It means you have something to give back.”
24. “If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.”
25. “Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune.”